- How much weight have you lost so far on your journey and have you hit your goal?
So far on my weightloss journey I have lost 115 pounds I started at 265 pounds and currently weigh 150 I have not reached my goal weight yet but I only have 5 more pounds to go.
- Did you struggle with weight all of your life or did you gain weight after you got older?
I have been overweight my entire life but it wasn’t until I was in the hospital for almost an entire year when I was 19 that it was a huge problem I gained a lot of weight from being bed ridden and on a lot of medications because of 2 life threatening brain diseases and 3 brain surgeries in a 5 month period.
- What was that trigger reason that finally caused you to decide to lose weight?
What finally motivated me to lose weight was my boyfriend being a competitive powerlifter he spent a lot of time at the gym training and because I was sick and disabled he was working 2 full time jobs and I didn’t get to see him a lot going to the gym started as a way for me to spend more time with him doing something he loved I just happened to fall in love with powerlifting and I never looked back.
- Give me some examples of changes you made in your life to make better eating habits.
When I first started changing my eating habits I didn’t want to do it all at once I knew I would have to ease into it so I picked out my 3 worst habits and cut those out of my diet mine happened to be cheese, sauces such as ranch and ketchup, and frozen foods like burritos and hot pockets doing that alone allowed me to drop 20 pounds along with lifting weights after that I switched to a low carb high protein diet and dropped the rest of the 115 pounds on that meal plan.
- When you think back to the foods that you use to eat, do you still have that food today on occasion, or do you avoid it all together, and does it still taste as ‘good’ as you remembered it to?
I really steer clear of a lot of the foods I used to eat of course I still have tacos and pizza every now and then but as far as the frozen foods and cheese I don’t ever eat those and ketchup absolutely grosses me out now and a lot of the foods I never liked such as mushrooms I can’t get enough of now it’s interesting how your taste buds change.
- What plan did you do to help you lose the weight?
The plan I used to lose weight was always changing but I basically stuck to low carb high protein diet lifting really heavy and doing light cardio.
- What is your typical fitness routine?
My typical fitness routine is 7 days of lifting and 3 days of cardio a week I focus on a different muscle group everyday and I train with the intent to build my one rep max for the squat bench and deadlift.
- We all need a strong support system to stay committed, who supports you?
My boyfriend has absolutely been my biggest supporter and motivator he taught me how to lift we changed our eating habits together and made it a competition to see who could lose the most weight having that constant support made it so much easier to stay committed for the long haul.
- Everyone has a bad day how do you look past mistakes and move forward?
Looking past the mistakes and understanding that one bad meal isn’t going to destroy your progress is huge for me when I would slip up it was always on the diet part and I would go to the gym either that day or the next and push just a little harder drink a little more water than normal and that made me feel better mentally which made it easier to get right back on track.
- What kind of advice would you give to others who are having a hard time getting started?
To people who are getting started on their weightloss journey or are thinking about starting my advice is take baby steps change little things change one thing at a time get used to it not being a diet but a new lifestyle and you will be so much more successful also surround yourself with people who have the same goals I got really into the powerlifting community and surrounding yourself with people on the same path means you always have someone in your corner pushing you to be successful